4.22.2011

Philanthropy Fridays: Simple Smile

I have a huge heart for working with kids and adults with disabilities. I have been a volunteer coach with the Special Olympics for about 4 years now and I cannot get enough of it.

Last Wednesday was the track and field portion of the games. The day started off with the opening ceremony where one representative ran the torch around the entire track while everyone cheered and encouraged Bobby as he ran around with a beaming smile! 
When Bobby finished, the wheelchair races, walks and runs began! 

During one of the running events I met a sweet girl named Taylor. She was so excited to be able to participate and was truly full of life. She would smile and laugh and I could not help but smile too. I spent the majority of the day with her and was amazed by her outlook on life.

I walked away with a greater appreciation of my own life. It put my little complaints and everyday problems in perspective. I think a lot of us lose sight of the many blessings we have each day. The simplicity of walking and speaking are taken for granted each day.
Even though I was volunteering my time, I truly felt that each one of them impacted my life and made me remember to be thankful for every blessing in my life. 

I challenge each of you to never take anything for granted and be thankful for every blessing in your life!


Happy Good Friday,
-Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment